I was asked for the recipe, so here it is! Based on this recipe, with a few tiny tweaks.
Prep Time: probably about 10 mins
Cook Time: about 5 mins, depending on how you like your waffles
Ground flaxseed/flaxseed meal, water, whole wheat flour, chia seeds, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, almond milk (or whatever kind of milk you want to use), vegetable oil (or your preferred oil), vanilla extract, kale.
*Most of these things are probably already in your pantry/fridge, and you can adjust this recipe to suit what you have on hand/what you like. The great thing about cooking at home: YOU make the rules!
2 Tbsp ground flaxseed/flaxseed meal
1/3 cup water
1.5 cups whole wheat flour
2 Tbsp chia seeds
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon (or however much you want)
Pinch nutmeg (however much you want)
Pinch salt (really doesn’t need much, especially since I’m not using added sugar in my recipe)
1.25 cups almond milk (or flaxseed milk, soy milk, etc.) – preferably unsweetened!
1 Tbsp vegetable oil (or whatever oil you prefer)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Put some good music on, and get yourself in a good mindset. You’re about to eat something awesome!
- Spray waffle iron with a cooking spray (I use vegetable oil spray) – don’t turn it on until you’re almost ready to cook.
- Grab a jar, to-go coffee mug, or other container with a tight-fitting lid – add to it the flaxseed + water. Shake it like a maraca (this is also where the music comes in handy) for about 15-20 secs. Set aside for a few mins, and it will thicken.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the flour + chia seeds + baking powder + baking soda + cinnamon + nutmeg + salt.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the almond milk + oil + vanilla extract + flaxseed & water mixture.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the large bowl of dry ingredients and mix.
- If you have a food processor or blender, pop some kale in there (I added about 4-5 big leaves, torn off the stems) and chop them into tiny pieces. Add to your mixture.
- Also feel free to get creative – add blueberries or other fruit to the mix if you want! This recipe would be great with carrot or sweet potato, too.
- Let your waffle iron heat up, then spoon in the mixture and cook as with normal waffles, however light or dark you normally like them.
- Top with your favorite fruits (ie. blueberries, sliced apple, banana, mango, strawberries, raspberries, peaches) and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Drizzle with pure maple syrup.
The best step: enjoy!